Saint Thomas More
Feast Day June 22
Thomas More (February 7, 1478 – July 6, 1535) in five easy points:
- Sir Thomas More was an English lawyer, philosopher, author, "Renaissance man", and Lord Chancellor to King Henry VIII.
- More was an ardent opponent of Protestantism and directed his attention against the heresies of Martin Luther and William Tyndale.
- St Thomas More wrote the political treatise Utopia in 1516. "Outopia" is Greek for "Nowhere."
- As chancellor of England, he silently opposed King Henry VIII's Act of Supremacy which placed the king as "head" of the Church of England. More was imprisoned in the Tower of London until he was convicted of "treason" and martyred by decapitation in 1535.
- Thomas More was beatified in 1886. He was canonized with John Fisher as a Catholic saint in 1935.
Recommended Movie, Man for All Seasons about St Thomas More: