As family, we also know that there are those who have suffered through various evils, not despairing, but offering their maladies to God for an increase of sanctity. It is natural then to consult those who have suffered in ways similar to us. Thus, we ask these saints to pray for us. Here is a checklist of "common problems" and the saints usually identified with each.
- Unemployed? - Saint Cajetan
- Can't find a spouse? - Saint Nicholas or Saint Andrew
- Can't get pregnant? - Saint Joachim and Saint Anne
- Difficulties during pregnancy? - Saint Gerard
- Have the flu? - Blessed Columba Marmion
- Have ulcers or heartburn? - Saint Charles Borromeo
- Sleepwalking? - Saint Dymphna
- Dental problems? - Saint Apollonia
- Cancer? - Saint Peregrine and Saint Bertha
- Heart disease? - Saint John of God
- Have arthritis? - Saint James
- Headaches and migraines? - Saint Denys of Paris
- Alcoholism? - Saint Monica
- Sore throat? - Saint Blaise
- Snake bite? - Saint Paul and Saint Patrick
- Lost something? - Saint Anthony
I'm sure that I've missed several saints. Please feel free to add more saints and maladies in the comments below. I look forward to learning of many more.
PS: Look for a future post on the "14 Holy Helpers."