McCain is creeping up on Obama. It's looking like a close tie as of this week with Obama ahead by two points.
Why is Obama losing his lead? Dick Morris points out that America is starting to perceive that Obama operates for political expediency. He is now adopting new positions, contrary to ones he held months ago...because he's trying to get votes. However it working against Obama because people (Obama is losing women in the polls) are starting to see through it all.
Check out these examples of Obama's flip-flopping:
• After vowing to eschew private fundraising and take public financing, he has now refused public money.Check out Dick Morris' whole article on the subject over at Real Clear Politics.
• Once he threatened to filibuster a bill to protect telephone companies from liability for their cooperation with national security wiretaps; now he has voted for the legislation.
• Turning his back on a lifetime of support for gun control, he now recognizes a Second Amendment right to bear arms in the wake of the Supreme Court decision.
• Formerly, he told the Israeli lobby that he favored an undivided Jerusalem. Now he says he didn't mean it.
• From a 100 percent pro-choice position, he now has migrated to expressing doubts about allowing partial-birth abortions.
• For the first time, he now speaks highly of using church-based institutions to deliver public services to the poor.
• Having based his entire campaign on withdrawal from Iraq, he now pledges to consult with the military first.
• During the primary, he backed merit pay for teachers -- but before the union a few weeks ago, he opposed it.
• After specifically saying in the primaries that he disagreed with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's (D-N.Y.) proposal to impose Social Security taxes on income over $200,000 and wanted to tax all income, he has now adopted the Clinton position.
Obama's breathtaking flips and flops are materially different from McCain's. While McCain had opposed offshore oil drilling and now supports it, the facts have obviously changed. Obama's shifts have nothing to do with altered circumstances, just a change in the political calendar.
[Please keep the comments tame.]