Yesterday, I posted my Catholic Scouting Manifesto in response to the recent Boy Scouts of America decision to change the traditional moral policies of the Boy Scouts...
The short of it is that we plan to initiate the Scouts of Saint George for young men who love virtue and the outdoors. This is not a club. This a group for scouting. Backpacking, fishing, dutch oven cooking, repelling, sailing, etc. It's based on camping and roughing it.
Best of all, the Scouts of Saint George may be able to have:
- Holy Mass on camp outs,
- group Rosaries around the campfires,
- pilgrimages to shrines or holy places in Europe,
- Catholic chaplains,
- magisterial authority,
- male Catholic leadership,
- all within the tradition of what it means to be a virtuous outdoorsman.
The response to the 'Scouts of Saint George' has been immense!
- 65 CATHOLIC EAGLE SCOUTS have joined the team to get the Scouts of Saint George started. A core group of 65 Eagle Scouts (and that number is growing) is a powerful asset.
- Over 500 people have signed up and volunteered to get the Saint George Scouts off the ground.
- There have been hundreds of comments and emails flashing around.
- 2000 "Likes" on Facebook.
- We have also had lawyers, graphic artists, and current Scout Leaders volunteer their time.
This all happened in less than 24 hours.
Here is what will happen next. Can you help us in any of these ways:
- We prayerfully need Pope Francis to recognize the Scouts of Saint George movement in some way. It struck me that Pope Francis' baptismal name is "George" - Jorge Mario Bergoglio! If anyone can open a door, please help. Pope Francis has a love for young people and the Church needs a global movement for young people. I think that he would give it his blessing. If someone could just get him to read the initial Manifesto post!
- Our goal is to have 100 Troops erected by September 1. Initially, a troop will consist of 2 to 100 boys with a father as a Senior Guide (sorry the word "Scoutmaster" is restricted by the BSA). Would you like to start a troop? Pray about it and let me know.
- We need a uniform design. It has to be functional and cool looking. Traditional but practical.
- We need insignia/badges design (this is where graphic artists come in).
- We need a system of badges and ranking. The terms "Life" "Star" and "Eagle" are restricted by the BSA. The team of Eagle Scouts will create the ranking system. Currently, I like the idea of "Pontifical Scout" or "Papal Scout" as our highest honor - equivalent to Eagle Scout.
- We need a Handbook. I'll work on this book with the other Eagle Scouts.
- We need lawyers because the BSA is very protective of "scouting terminology." We need counsel.
- We need moms and dads talking this up with other parents and scouts. Spread the word. This is not limited to the USA. This could happen on every continent.
- We need promotion on radio and the internet.
Can you help in any of these ways? If so, please sign up:
After reading this you make think an endeavor of this magnitude is crazy. I don't. It could happen. This is an opportunity for Catholic fathers especially. We all know that our culture is feminizing what it means to be a man. The Church needs something cultivate young men in virtue. Young men need the outdoors. It's integral. This could be a great moment for Catholic fathers!
WARNING: After several months go by, the shocked reaction of parents to the BSA decision to tolerate homosexuality will die out. People will forget it and move on. The momentum will be lost. People will return to apathy. This is why it is important that we act now. I hope you agree.
Again, if you are willing to help in any way, even if by praying, please sign up by clicking here.